Lasagne a lá Karolien
Lasagne a lá KarolienDifficulty: Easy
500 g mince
1 large brinjal cut in small pieces
1 large carrot grated
2 large onions diced up
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh garlic cloves
Salt, pepper and mixed herbs to taste
Tomato paste (1 small tin)
1 Vegetable bouillon block dissolved in a about 350ml of water, use your discretion
1 Can of tomatoes diced/pureed
Ghee, or oil to fry all ingredients
A teaspoon or so sugar to break the acidity of the tomato
Cheese to sprinkle over before baking
INGREDIENTS FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
500 ml milk
4 tbsp of white flour
Ghee or butter ( I used Ghee)
- Fry diced onions, brinjal and carrots together in oil or ghee
- Add mince and fry until cooked. Season with salt and pepper and some mixed herbs
- Add fresh garlic cloves and basil leaves
- Add dissolved vegetable bouillon block, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and that pinch of sugar I mentioned
- Cook for a few minutes
- For the white sauce melt the ghee/butter over a low heat until melted.
- Add the flour bit by bit and keep stirring to prevent lumps
- Add the milk slowly, whilst stirring continuously. I often cheat here using my hand mixer/blitzer and just get rid of all the lumps
- Add a tad of cheese and keep it on slow heat until it thickens
- Once the lasagne mince sauce is cooked and your white sauce is ready you can layer it in an oven proof dish starting with the mince, lasagne sheets and so forth. Ending off with the white sauce poured over the top. I then use the spoon to just slight press the lasagne away from the sides of the dish so the white sauce can soak through.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 180 degrees
- I soak my lasagne sheets in boiling water ahead of time to shorten the cooking time, just keep moving them so they don’t stick together.
- Lasagne tastes even better the day after so if you can make sure to double the recipe for some leftovers or to put in the freezer for a next meal. Enjoy!